One day I received a package from King Oscar Sardines with the lovely video above and was up for the cooking challenge. So I went to my cookbook collection and pulled out The Complete Robuchon (Joël Robuchon is my hero) to see what I can create with canned sardines. It was Sardine Rillettes and the results were great!
Here’s the recipe from the cookbook.
- One 3.75 ounce can oil-packed sardines
- 1 teaspoon butter at room temperature
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
Essentially you start off by crushing the sardines into the butter with the fork. You add the other ingredients and mix well. Add some salt and pepper to taste and serve on sliced toasted baguette.
I have to say it was really delicious. Did you expect anything less of a recipe from the chef of the century? It was rich, creamy and well balanced. You wouldn’t even believe that the main ingredient was the canned sardines and you don’t get that fishy taste. This is something I would definitely serve again for guests.
- Cookbook Confessions - Tζατζίκι (Tzatziki) (amuseboucheblog.com)
- Cookbook Confessions - How to Make a Frappe (amuseboucheblog.com)
- How to Get More Flavor Out of Finely Minced Garlic (amuseboucheblog.com)